This content is also available in: Spanish
In order to find an effective and efficient way to use Twitter, here are 10 tips that may be useful for any Twitter user. Whether you’re new to Twitter or an experienced Twitter user these tips can help you get more results.
1. Use a tool for managing your tweets.
In today’s mobile world it’s easy to stay up to date with Twitter. With so many available applications to choose from such as: Tweetdeck or Hootsuite, and others can enhance the experience of Twitter.
2. Rotate links in your Tweets.
You should rotate where you place a link. Sometimes you should place it before the message which causes the user to see the link and then the message. This may increase the readers curiosity. At other times you can place the link in the middle of the message. It is a good idea to alternate the structure of your “tweet” so they do not all look alike.
- Before the message: “http://about.com – Portal to find useful and interesting information.”
- After the message: “Portal to find useful and interesting: http://about.com”
- Middle of the message: “Portal to find useful and interesting: http://about.com information.”
3. Create “tweets” with no more than 120 characters.
Tweets that are less than 120 character make it easier for others to “Re-tweet” and pass the information along.
4. Create lists to filter messages from users by topic, relationship, or events.
As the number of contacts you have grow, it becomes more and more difficult to read through all of your messages. Having lists allow you to better control the flow of messages and interaction with other users.
5. Understand how to use “hashtag” and its many features.
A “hashtag” is a keyword which is placed with a number sign (#) in front. This allows the Twitter platform to easily find users that have used that keyword in their tweets.
6. Include a Background on Your Profile that identifies you, or the effort that you are running.
Twitter provides a generic background designs for its users, however, you have the ability to create your own background. This is very useful if your a business because it allows you to make your presence in Twitter stand out. Your background imagine can be as simple as just your logo, but I recommend having key features of your business on that background.
7. Complete your profile and highlight your interests so others with similar interests can see you as a potential contact to follow.
Be sure to keep up to date photo of you and information describing your interests. Creativity is always welcome.
8. Add links to your profile.
This will help to direct followers or visitors to your blog, or anywhere they can find more information from you. I always recommend to include your blog or website.
9. Share “tweets” from other users.
Twitter is a channel of communication whose purpose is to share information. Be sure to share and pass on information shared by others. If you only share what you create you miss the opportunity to create new relationships. Many users choose to stop following users when messages are often personal propaganda only.
10. Never click on links from strangers they usually arrive via a special ”DM” (direct message).
Many people receive private messages which may have malicious code that can take over your account. Once you see suspicious activity call the Twitter security team they will show you how to precede.
These are 10 tips and tricks on how to use Twitter. If you have some tips for Twitter users post in the comments below.
If you need help on improving your online presence for yourself or your business feel free to send us your contact info!