- How would you like your “office/business park” to see what checks you print out each week? No
- Get out the manual for that wireless access point (WAP) that you bought and stuffed under a desk when you got it working.
- Does it mention any thing about a firewall? If not, budget about $150 for one that combines firewall, router, printer port and wireless access point. Did you ever configure it? See if you wrote down the password to get back into it, or read up on how to re-set it to the default, because we start there. This will cost you about a day, so Sunday pick up some pastries, a pot of coffee, and plan on some work.
- Select a non-routable address range for your office net work.
- Select a password for the administrative account. No words from a dictionary or profanity (too easy). Pick something with numbers, letters, capitals, and special characters (shift-numbers). Write it down, seal it in an envelope, and drop it in your safe deposit box or fire safe at home so you can find it again. Do not use your business name or your birthday. If they let you change the adminname, write that down too, and pick something other than “boss,”or “administrator.”Use something totally unrelated to your business.
- Read that manual and learn how to properly configure the access point.
Main Article 7 Week Plan to Safeguard Your Small Business Assets