6 recommendations to Unleash the Power Of FollowFriday
If you are just starting on twitter who should you start following? I think everyone new on twitter runs into the same situation. How about if you are a business how do you gain followers?
In my opinion I see the benefit of growing your followers organically. I have seen many companies with new presence on twitter spamming and following as many people on twitter as they can get a hand on. Personally I think they should really focus on earning followers (without spamming), establishing relationships, and keeping those followers.
On twitter I have been a huge advocate for #FollowFriday and the Spanish version of #VivaViernes. The #FollowFriday hashtag was initially created and suggested by @micah on twitter. As you can see the first #FollowFriday Tweet below.
For individuals it is a great way to share top people to follow on Twitter. It also gives you the chance to find recommendations from friends who they think deserve your attention. If you actually take those benefits and transfer them to a business account I see many advantages.
Getting back to actually maintaining your users by using #FollowFriday we recommend:
- Give a short description of your opinion on a user or what they tweet about. If you also see they are aligned towards efforts that your followers or yourself are an advocate for make sure to mention them.
- Opt Out if you are not going to give it your genuine touch. I see many people just creating lists of people but if you really want your followers to feel that you are mentioning them because they mean something to you then you should at least accompany the #FollowFriday with a short description of why you think they should be followed.
- Categorize your #FollowFriday. If you want to recommend a list of users who have something in common. Example if you follow a group of Web Designers then you can mention the category small phrase and the users recommended.
- Recommend People with High Impact Tweets. If you consider that a certain user is impacting you and might have a high impact with other users this is a user you might want to recommend.
- Take care of users who share Helpful Tweets. If you find that you ask a question and one of your users is actually replying with help or assisting other users in your list what better way to be grateful than with a recognition accompanied by a #FollowFriday.
- Most Interactive users with your account should be mentioned. I personally created a list of the Top 40 people who I interact with and usually I use that list as a guideline to send out my #FollowFridays
Overall search for the best option of the #FollowFriday to fit your business needs. I constantly switch them up and would recommend you to try or even mix my recommendations.
I also recommend you to visit Followfriday.com (@followfridaycom) which is a great new tool to measure how many #FollowFridays a user has received.
It also gives you a few tools to help you be grateful for the people who mentioned you with the #FollowFriday hashtag.
Are you using #FollowFriday for any business purpose?
How do you use your #FollowFriday?
Any other suggestions on how to keep your users interested?